It’s “Counter Offer” Season…

… and I reckon it’s a mugs game for both the employer and the employee.
The counter offer is a knee jerk by employers to suddenly show their respect to an employee by promising the world will change and here is some money to accompany the promise. For the employee it’s often either a bargaining chip for a few extra dollars or a last chance extension of their tolerance for the employer. The fact is that it only has a 20% chance of success for either party. 80% of the time the employee and the employer have parted ways within six months, FACT!

So don’t get into the ‘counter offer’ war as it’s more about ego and winning or losing than addressing the real issues.

Why is it happening now?

Well in my opinion its because as we see more opportunity in the market employees will feel the urge to move as the last 18 months of battling through the GFC havn’t been very rewarding in most organisations. Remember that Reward and Recognition are the top two reasons people leave their jobs.

If you’ve got a beef with your employer deal with it before you enter the job market and don’t be fooled by empty promises at resignation discussion. As employers we need to reward and recognise our people now not on the day they resign!

Advertisements